Frequently Asked Questions

An immigration lawyer is a legal professional who specializes in immigration law, which is the area of law that deals with matters related to immigration, citizenship, visas, and related issues

You should consult an immigration lawyer if you are planning to move to another country or if you are facing immigration-related issues such as deportation, visa denial, or citizenship application problems

An immigration lawyer can provide legal advice and assistance with a wide range of immigration-related issues, including visa applications, green card applications, citizenship applications, deportation proceedings, and more.

You can find an immigration lawyer by searching online directories or by contacting your local bar association. It is important to choose an experienced and qualified lawyer who specializes in immigration law.

The cost of an immigration lawyer can vary depending on the complexity of the case and the lawyer’s experience and hourly rate. Many immigration lawyers will engage in an initial consultation to discuss your case and determine the cost of representation.

The processing time for a visa or green card can vary depending on the type of visa or green card and the specific circumstances of your case. Processing times can range from a few weeks to several months or even years.

Yes, you can appeal a visa denial or deportation order. An immigration lawyer can assist you with the appeals process and represent you in court if necessary.

The requirements for becoming a U.S. citizen include being a legal permanent resident for at least five years (or three years if you are married to a U.S. citizen), being at least 18 years old, demonstrating good moral character, passing a civics and English language test, and taking an oath of allegiance to the United States.

DACA stands for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals. It is a program that provides temporary protection from deportation and work authorization for individuals who were brought to the United States as children and meet certain eligibility requirements.

Yes, you can sponsor certain family members for a green card if you are a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident. The specific requirements and process for sponsoring a family member can vary depending on your relationship to the family member and other factors. An immigration lawyer can assist you with the process.

There are several types of US visas that exist for businesses:
1. B-1 Business Visitor Visa: This visa is for foreign nationals who need to come to the US for business purposes, such as attending a conference, meeting with clients, or negotiating contracts.
2. E-1 Treaty Trader Visa: This visa is for foreign nationals who are citizens of countries that have a treaty of commerce and navigation with the US. It allows them to come to the US to engage in substantial trade with US businesses.
3. E-2 Treaty Investor Visa: This visa is for foreign nationals who are citizens of countries that have a treaty of commerce and navigation with the US. It allows them to come to the US to invest a substantial amount of capital in a US business.
4. L-1 Intracompany Transferee Visa: This visa is for employees of multinational companies who are being transferred from a foreign office to a US office of the same company.
5. H-1B Specialty Occupation Visa: This visa is for foreign nationals who have a bachelor’s degree or higher in a specialty occupation, and are being sponsored by a US employer to work in that field.
6. O-1 Extraordinary Ability Visa: This visa is for foreign nationals who have extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics, and are coming to the US to work in their field.
7. TN Visa: This visa is for citizens of Canada or Mexico who are coming to the US to work in a profession listed under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA).
It’s important to note that each visa has specific eligibility requirements, and the application process can be complex. It’s recommended that businesses consult with an experienced immigration lawyer to determine which visa is appropriate for their needs and to assist with the application process.

There are various types of visas available for athletes and artists, depending on the purpose of their visit to a particular country. Here are some of the most common ones:
1. P-1 visa: This is a visa for internationally recognized athletes and members of entertainment groups. The P-1 visa is designed for athletes and entertainers who are coming to the United States temporarily to perform at a specific event, competition, or engagement.
2. O-1 visa: This is a visa for individuals who possess extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics, or who have a demonstrated record of extraordinary achievement in their field of endeavor. The O-1 visa is often used for internationally acclaimed artists, such as musicians, actors, and dancers.
3. B-1 visa: This is a visa for business visitors, which can include athletes and artists. The B-1 visa allows individuals to engage in business activities, such as attending meetings, negotiating contracts, or conducting research, but does not permit employment or performance.
4. J-1 visa: This is a visa for exchange visitors, including athletes and artists who are participating in a government-approved exchange program. The J-1 visa is designed to promote cultural exchange and understanding between the United States and other countries.
It’s important to note that visa requirements and regulations can vary depending on the country and the specific circumstances of the athlete or artist. It’s always recommended to consult with a qualified immigration attorney or the relevant embassy or consulate for specific guidance.

VWP stands for Visa Waiver Program, and ESTA stands for Electronic System for Travel Authorization. These two are related programs that allow citizens of certain countries to travel to the United States for tourism, business, or transit purposes for up to 90 days without obtaining a visa.
To be eligible for the VWP/ESTA, a traveler must be a citizen of one of the 39 countries participating in the program, most EU countries are included, have a valid passport from that country, and meet other requirements such as having a return or onward ticket and not having a criminal record.
To travel under the VWP/ESTA, the traveler must apply online for an ESTA authorization through the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s website at least 72 hours before departure. If approved, the ESTA authorization is valid for up to two years or until the traveler’s passport expires, whichever comes first.
It’s important to note that even with an approved ESTA, admission into the United States is ultimately at the discretion of the U.S. Customs and Border Protection officer at the port of entry.

International extradition is the legal process through which a person charged with a crime in one country is transferred or returned from another country to face trial or serve a sentence.

International extradition is necessary when a person accused of a crime is located in a different country than where the crime was committed. It allows for the cooperation between countries in bringing individuals to justice.

A red notice is an international alert issued by Interpol to seek the location and arrest of an individual wanted for prosecution or to serve a sentence. It is an important tool used by law enforcement agencies around the world to assist in locating and apprehending fugitives.

An international extradition lawyer who handles red notices can provide legal advice and representation to individuals who are subject to extradition requests or red notices. They can help navigate the complex legal processes involved, challenge the validity of the request, and advocate for the rights of the individual.

Yes, a red notice can be challenged. An experienced international extradition lawyer can assess the grounds for challenging a red notice, such as procedural errors, lack of evidence, or violations of human rights. They can then prepare a strong defense strategy to protect the rights and interests of the individual involved.

Some common grounds for challenging an extradition request include political persecution, lack of evidence, improper procedures followed in the requesting country, violation of human rights, double jeopardy, and the possibility of receiving an unfair trial or cruel and unusual punishment.

The duration of the extradition process can vary widely depending on the complexity of the case, the legal systems involved, and the cooperation between the countries. It can take anywhere from a few months to several years to resolve an extradition case.

Extradition generally applies to serious offenses that are considered criminal in both the requesting and requested countries. The specific crimes eligible for extradition may vary depending on the extradition treaties and agreements between the countries involved.

Extradition laws and practices differ between countries, but in many cases, a person can be extradited even if they are a citizen of the requested country. However, some countries may have provisions in their laws or extradition treaties that prevent or restrict the extradition of their own citizens.

To find a reliable international extradition lawyer, you can start by conducting research online and looking for lawyers or law firms specializing in international extradition and red notice cases. It is important to review their experience, qualifications, client testimonials, and success rate. Additionally, you can seek referrals from trusted legal professionals or organizations specializing in international law.